Sunday, November 10, 2013

I, Too, Am, America


Title:  I, Too, Am America

Author: Langston Hughes

Illustrator:  Bryan Collier

ISBN:  9781442420083

Summary: 
This is a poem by Langston Hughes that is based on the porters of the train system after the freedom of slavery.
 
 
Rating:
I need to be completely honest, here.   I got this book simply because of the cover.  I was not expecting it to be a poem; however, it is a great book.  The illustrations by Bryan Collier really bring the book to life. 
AR Information
Lexile Information
Level
Not listed
Age range
4-8 years
Quiz Point Value
Not listed
Book type
Not Listed
Grade Interest Level
Not listed
Lexile measure
AD3900L
 
(The AR and Lexile information is pulled straight from their websites. Arbookfind.com and lexile.com)
 
Curriculum Connections: (These standards are simply the ones I found right off as some I may use for a lesson with the book listed.  I in no way am trying to state these are the only standards that fit this book.)
CCSS
RL.6.7
RI.6.7
W.6.9
SL.6.2
L6.5
 
 
 
 
 
Reading:
After reading the book aloud I would have the students write or tell about a time they felt left out by adults.  I would have the students draw a picture of a time they felt left out and a picture of when they felt proud. 
 
Writing and Speaking:
The students would then create their own poem in the form of Rap, Song, drawing, Musical beat, Dance, etc.  The conclusion to the lesson would be a whole class rap of Langston’s poem.
 
Additional uses:
This is a great book to integrate in Social Studies and a great way to intergrate the time period of the book with music from the period.  There is nothing like some great Jazz by Duke Ellington or Miles Davis.
 
 
Related Internet Resources:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment