Sunday, November 10, 2013

Cornrows


Title:  Cornrows

Author: Camille Yarbrough

Illustrator:  Carole Byard

ISBN:  9780802797551



Summary: 

This is a story about the African culture and what the cornrows represent for the different regions in Africa.  The book also talks about basket making.  The book shows love and how family history can empower the next generation.

 
Rating:

I really like this book a lot.  I learned a lot just from reading the book. 

AR Information
Lexile Information
Level
3.8
Age range
Not Listed
Quiz Point Value
.5
Book type
Not Listed
Grade Interest Level
K-3
Lexile measure
AD450L

 (The AR and Lexile information is pulled straight from their websites. Arbookfind.com and lexile.com)

 Curriculum Connections: (These standards are simply the ones I found right off as some I may use for a lesson with the book listed.  I in no way am trying to state these are the only standards that fit this book.)

CCSS

RL.3.6

RI.3.6

W.3.7

Reading:

I would use this book as an introduction to SC History unit on the low country region, or I would use this book when we discussed slavery. 

 
Writing and Speaking:

I would have my students do a research project on different cultures, and then present them to the class. 
 

Additional uses:

This could also be integrated into the Social Studies unit.  I would also do an activity in class about basket weaving.  I would have a speaker come to class from different cultures, but specifically from the Gullah Culture if studying SC History.


Related Internet Resources:



No comments:

Post a Comment